The Beauty of Peking Beef
Peking beef is a beloved Chinese dish, both within China and around the world. It is a classic dish enjoyed throughout Chinese cuisine and its unique flavor is truly iconic. With the right recipe and ingredients, Peking beef can truly shine.
The Origin of Peking Beef
It is believed that Peking beef originated in Northern China, in the Hebei Province. It has become a popular dish throughout China and has become a much more globalized dish in recent years. Peking beef is made from thin slices of beef that are lightly battered and fried until crispy. The beef needs to be cooked quickly and at a high temperature to preserve its texture and to ensure that all of its flavors come out.
The Ingredients for Peking Beef
The ingredients for Peking beef are simple and can easily be sourced from any grocery store. You will need:
• 1 lb of thinly sliced rib-eye steak
• 1 cup of cornstarch
• 1 cup of all-purpose flour
• 2 eggs
• 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
• ¼ cup of minced garlic
• 1 tablespoon of minced fresh ginger
• 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
• 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
• 4 scallions, thinly sliced
• Salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Peking Beef
Making Peking beef is an easy and delicious task. Here are the steps of preparing a tasty Peking beef dish:
1. Begin by lightly seasoning both sides of the steak with salt and pepper.
2. In a shallow dish, whisk together the cornstarch, flour, and eggs until smooth. Dip the steak strips into the egg mixture and coat them evenly.
3. In a large skillet or wok, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the steak strips and fry until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.
4. Remove the steak strips from the heat and drain them on a paper towel-lined plate.
5. To make the sauce, add the garlic, ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil, and scallions to the same skillet, and cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly.
6. Add the steak strips back to the skillet and stir to coat with the sauce. Cook for 1-2 minutes more, until the steak strips are heated through.
7. Serve your Peking beef with steamed white rice and a side of your favorite vegetables. Enjoy!
Whether you eat it at home or enjoy it in a restaurant, Peking beef is a truly delicious and iconic dish that is sure to please. Try this easy recipe for Peking beef for a flavorful and satisfying meal that is sure to impress.