The Critic’s Mongolian Beef: Tender Strips of Bliss
Mongolian beef is a dish packed with flavor and texture, making it a real crowd pleaser. Our version, The Critic’s Mongolian Beef, takes this classic dish to a higher level. It features succulent beef strips marinated in a mixture of brown sugar, sesame oil, garlic, ginger and soy sauce, then tossed in a zesty glaze composed of hoisin sauce, rice wine vinegar, and a touch of chili heat. All of these tasty ingredients combine to create a dish that’s truly unforgettable!
This recipe draws on both Mongolian and Chinese culinary traditions. The marinade of garlic, ginger, and soy sauce is a common combination used in many Chinese dishes, while the sesame oil, hoisin sauce and chili give a true Mongolian twist. The glaze of hoisin and rice wine vinegar also adds a unique depth of flavor, while the warm hint of chili delivers an unexpected surprise!
The preparation of the beef is also very important. The beef strips must be cut very thin, and the marinade must be left to soak in overnight in order to achieve that perfect texture. Once the marinating is done, the strips are cooked briefly in a hot wok, quickly searing the outside while leaving the center tender and juicy.
The result is a mouth-watering combination of savory and sweet, with a hint of heat that lingers on the palate. Serve this dish with jasmine or sticky rice, and a side of stir-fried vegetables for a complete meal. The Critic’s Mongolian Beef is sure to impress family and friends alike!
-1 lb. flank steak, sliced into thin strips
-3 cloves garlic, minced
-1 teaspoon grated ginger
-2 tablespoons sesame oil
-2 tablespoons brown sugar
-2 tablespoons soy sauce
-1/4 cup hoisin sauce
-1 tablespoon chili sauce
-2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
1. In a medium bowl, mix together garlic, ginger, sesame oil, brown sugar, and soy sauce.
2. Add the beef strips, making sure to coat them evenly. Cover and marinate in refrigerator overnight.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together hoisin sauce, chili sauce, and rice wine vinegar.
4. Heat a large wok or skillet over high heat. Add the beef strips and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes, or until the beef has browned.
5. Reduce heat to low and add the hoisin mixture. Stir until heated through and the beef is evenly coated.
6. Serve immediately with jasmine or sticky rice and stir-fried vegetables. Enjoy!