Tantalizingly Delicious Shepherd’s Salad
Nothing says comfort like a freshly prepared Shepherd’s Salad! This traditional Levantine dish is bursting with aromatic Mediterranean flavors and colorful, crisp vegetables that make for a satisfying meal.
Each bite is full of nourishing goodness, yet it’s light enough that you don’t feel weighed down. It has the perfect mix of crunchy and juicy components, with the addition of zesty dressing and hefty herbs.
This classic recipe dates back to the Ottoman Empire, and its heartiness has always been an integral part of Middle Eastern culture. Shepherd’s Salad combines fresh vegetables and herbs such as tomatoes, cucumbers, mint, and parsley with a tantalizing blend of olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic.
To make this wonderfully complex salad, it’s important to select the freshest possible ingredients. Everything should be chopped into evenly-sized pieces to keep the flavors balanced.
– 2 Tomatoes
– 2 Cucumbers
– 1 red bell pepper
– 1 green bell pepper
– 1/2 cup mint leaves
– 1/2 cup parsley leaves
– 4 tablespoons of olive oil
– 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
– 1 clove of garlic
– Salt and pepper to taste
1. Begin by chopping the tomatoes, cucumber, bell peppers into small, even cubes.
2. Rinse and drain the mint and parsley leaves. Then, roughly chop the leaves and add them to the vegetables.
3. Combine the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl and mix well.
4. Add the mixture to the vegetables and toss to combine.
5. Allow the salad to sit for at least 30 minutes so that the flavors can meld together.
6. Serve chilled and enjoy!
This Shepherd’s Salad is versatile, so feel free to play around with the ingredients and add in some feta cheese or Kalamata olives for a richer flavor. Alternatively, you can make it a bit more hearty by adding grilled chicken or shawarma for a more satiating meal.
Whether you’re inspired by the classic Levantine cuisine or just looking for a nutritious and delicious lunch, Shepherd’s Salad is sure to satisfy. Some rustic country bread is the perfect accompaniment to get the optimal flavor experience!