Red Hot and Blue Redskin Potato Salad: Tasty Memorial Day Ideas
Memorial Day is the perfect time to enjoy outdoor barbecues, and nothing brings more fun to a gathering than making food that everyone can enjoy. That’s why I love this red hot and blue redskin potato salad—it’s an easy to make, colorful combination that has delicious flavor and an extra kick of heat.
– 4 large red-skinned potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
– 1/2 cup diced celery
– 1/2 cup diced scallions
– 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
– 1/4 cup sour cream
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
– 2 tablespoons red hot sauce
– 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
– Salt to taste
1. Boil the potatoes until they are tender but not mushy, about 10 minutes.
2. Drain, rinse in cold water and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, olive oil, Dijon mustard, red hot sauce and salt, stirring until well blended.
4. Add the potatoes, celery, scallions, and blue cheese. Gently toss until coated.
5. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
The bold flavors of this red hot and blue redskin potato salad make it a standout side dish for cookouts and barbecues. The tangy combination of mayonnaise, sour cream, and red hot sauce balance the creamy blue cheese and bright colors of the redskin potatoes, celery, and scallions. Plus, the scaliness of the potato cubes provides a pleasant crunch with each bite.
This red hot and blue redskin potato salad will fit right in with other classic Memorial Day dishes like deviled eggs, slaw, and barbecued ribs. It’s also very versatile and can be altered to fit different dietary restrictions. Swap for a vegan or dairy-free mayonnaise and sour cream for a vegan version and add bacon for a non-vegan take. The combination of colors, flavors, and textures make this a surefire winner that everyone at your picnic will love.