Limpa Bread: An Authentic Scandinavian Favorite
When you hear the word “bread”, what comes to mind? For most people, white little loaves of sandwich bread or boules of crusty French rolls come to mind. But if you’re a fan of Scandinavian cuisine, you also know that there’s a unique type of savory-sweet, rye-based bread known as “limpa”. If you’ve never had the pleasure of baking this rustic loaf, you’re missing out on an unforgettable experience.
Limpa Bread is an ancient recipe found in every corner of Scandinavia, but each country has its own twist on the dish. In Sweden, limpa bread is often flavored with orange zest, whereas in Finland and Denmark it can have a sweeter flavor, usually with a hint of molasses, cardamom, and anise. However the most classic recipe is simple, featuring a blend of rye, wheat, and barley malt flours. Delicious when enjoyed with just a butter and honey spread, this bread can also be used as a base for a hearty open sandwich or simply enjoyed as is.
– 2.25 cups of luke warm water
– 2 teaspoons of salt
– 4 cups of all purpose flour
– 2 cups of rye flour
– 2 tablespoons of active dry yeast
– 2 teaspoons of sugar
– 3 tablespoons of melted butter
– 1 tablespoon of anise seeds
– 1 teaspoon of caraway seeds
1. In a bowl combine the yeast, sugar, and warm water. Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes, or until it becomes foamy.
2. In a separate bowl, mix together the flours, anise and caraway seed, and salt.
3. Add the yeast mixture to the flour and stir until a dough forms.
4. Knead the dough for 10 minutes or until it is soft and pliable.
5. Form the dough into a ball, and place it in a greased bowl. Cover and let the dough rise for one hour, or until doubled in size.
6. Preheat your oven to 375°F.
7. transfer the dough to a greased baking sheet, and push it down until it’s about two inches thick.
8. Brush the top of the dough with melted butter, and bake for 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
9. Allow bread to cool for 15 minutes before cutting and enjoying.
This Scandinavian-style Limpa Bread is a cherished family recipe that is sure to become a favorite in your kitchen. The combination of anise and caraway seeds give the loaf a complex, yet welcoming flavor that is sure to leave you wanting more. And, with its tender texture and even crumb, this bread can be used not just as a snack, but also as the base for a variety of delicious sandwiches and canapés. Whether served at a family gathering or as part of a breakfast, Limpa Bread is a delectable treat that will please everyone.
So, get your ingredients together, preheat your oven and try your hand at this delicious Limpa Bread. You won’t be disappointed!