Delicious homemade sandwich bread that’s easy and fun to make
When it comes to comfort food, few dishes compare to a warm, freshly-baked slice of delicious sandwich bread. This versatile staple can be paired with almost anything, and its buttery, chewy texture is hard to beat. If you’re looking to level up your bread-making skills, this easy-to-follow recipe for homemade sandwich bread will prove to be a hit.
- 6 cups of all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 large egg
- 2.5 cups warm water
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, butter, honey, yeast, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg until smooth. Stir in the warm water and pour it into the flour mixture.
- Mix until a soft dough forms.
- Lightly flour a work surface and knead the dough for 8-10 minutes, until it is smooth and elastic.
- Grease a medium-sized bowl with butter and place the dough in it.
- Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and let the dough rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Punch down the dough and divide it into 2 equal portions.
- Shape each portion into an oval, place them on an oiled baking sheet and cover with a damp cloth.
- Let the loaves rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F and bake the loaves for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack before serving.
Tasty, homemade sandwich bread – no baking skills necessary
Making your own sandwich bread from scratch doesn’t have to be intimidating. This recipe, which unleashes the beauty of all-purpose flour and constructive yeast, is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. With every bite, you’ll savor the sweetness of honey and the texture of silky butter. Your guests will be wowed by this delicious, homemade sandwich bread.
Despite its simplicity, this sandwich bread recipe is bursting with unusual flavors and influences. From the richness of activated dry yeast and butter, to the warmth of a hint of honey, the finished product is almost poetic in its complexity. Plus, the combination of warm water and egg gives the dough an extra bit of lightness, making it tender and flavorful.
Whether enjoyed plain or paired with a generous helping of jam, this homemade sandwich bread is sure to tickle your taste buds and transport you to a culinary paradise. The subtly sweet flavor and perfect texture make it a fantastic addition to several traditional dishes, such as French toast and croutons. Plus, sandwich bread freezes particularly well, so you can easily double the recipe and keep some for a rainy day.