Introducing the Junkyard Salad: An Unconventional Approach to Healthy Eating
If you’re looking for a creative and nutritious way to shake up your lunch routine, the Junkyard Salad is sure to hit the spot. This curiously named dish springs influences from several global cuisines such as Middle Eastern, Italian and Middle Eastern, coming together to create an innovative fusion that’s brimming with flavor and nutrition.
At first glance, the ingredient list might seem daunting. But, by leveraging the unique combinatory ability of our taste buds, the dish promises to be a delightful sensory experience that’s sure to captivate the palate. Have no fear—all the exotic ingredients you’ll find here are readily available at most conventional grocery stores.
• ½ cup of freekeh
• 25g of toasted cashews
• 20g of sultans
• 2 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
• ½ teaspoon of honey
• 1 tablespoon of olive oil
• 1 teaspoon of cumin
• 2 tablespoons of pistachios
• 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley
• 2 tablespoons of chopped mint
• 1 handful of blackberries
• 1 chopped avocado
• 1 lemon
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
2. Spread the cashews and sultans onto a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown.
3. Meanwhile, in a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the vinegar, honey, olive oil, cumin and a pinch of salt and pepper.
4. Add the cooked freekeh, cranberries, pistachios, parsley and mint to the bowl and stir to combine.
5. Peel, remove the seeds and chop the avocado (by the way, here’s an awesome guide on how to do it perfectly!). Add to the salad bowl.
6. Add the toasted nuts and mix thoroughly to combine all the ingredients.
7. Squeeze in the juice of one lemon and give it another good mix.
Your Junkyard Salad is ready to be served!
This salad pairs well with anything, hot or cold. Serve it as a side salad or top it with your favorite protein, such as grilled chicken or fish, to make it a main dish. It also makes a great vegan or vegetarian meal and can be eaten as is!
The Junkyard Salad is a truly unique dish, filled with flavor and texture. It’s an explosion of colors on the plate, bringing together the vibrant hues of the ingredients. With its creative fusion of elements from global cuisines, it’s sure to surprise and delight your taste buds. Give it a shot—you won’t regret it! Enjoy!