Ancient Grain Bread: A Nutritious and Delicious Recipe
Do you want to add something unique and nutritious to your everyday meals? Ancient grain bread is the perfect choice! A mix of unique flavors and textures, ancient grain bread is great for sandwiches, toast, and so much more. Plus, it packs in a ton of essential vitamins and minerals that keep you feeling energized and your taste buds tingling.
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 teaspoons of active dry yeast
- 1 ½ cups spelt flour
- 2 cups ancient grain flour, such as Kamut, Einkorn, or Farro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the warm water, honey, and oil. Sprinkle the yeast on top and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Add the spelt flour and ancient grain flour and mix slowly until the dough comes together in a rough ball. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 8-10 minutes until smooth and elastic. If the dough is too sticky, add a tablespoon of flour at a time.
- Return the dough to the bowl, cover with a damp cloth, and let rise in a warm place for 1 to 1 ½ hours, or until doubled in size. Punch down the dough and knead in the salt, rosemary, and oregano.
- Form the dough into a large round loaf and place it on a baking sheet. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Once the oven is preheated, brush the loaf with water and bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the loaf is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped. Allow to cool on a wire rack before slicing.
A Healthy and Flavorful Bread
Ancient grain bread is a fantastic way to add some variety and nutrition to your diet! The combination of ancient grains and spelt flour includes a plethora of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Digestive health is supported through the grain’s high fiber content, and the unique flavor combination gives each bite a complex taste that can’t be achieved in traditional white bread.
This recipe introduces an Eastern-style approach to baking, complete with herbs like oregano and rosemary that were once common in the cuisines of the Middle East and Mediterranean regions. The rich flavor and nutrition of this bread also make it a great addition to vegetarian and vegan diets, and an excellent option for picky eaters.
Ancient grain bread is a delicious and nutritious way to enjoy the flavors of the East. So, the next time you’re looking for a unique and flavorful recipe to share with your family, consider giving this ancient grain bread a try!
You should also check out some of our other recipes that feature ancient grains, like our Spelt Porridge with Figs, Cranberries and Nuts, or our Einkorn Pumpkin Spice Muffins. Healthy eating has never been so delicious!