Scrumptious Tomato Potato Soup
Ah, soup season! The first time cold weather seeps through the air, all I can think about is a bowl of my favourite tomato potato soup. It’s so simple to make, yet nothing beats its creamy and comforting flavour.
This tomato potato soup is a tomato-forward soup with slivers of potato and fresh oregano that adds intense and aromatic flavours. I love how the tomato and potato combination is mildly sweet and savoury with a slight salty aftertaste. The oregano rounds it off, adding an extra depth of flavour.
This dish, while tasty and complex, is also quite easy to prepare. Not to mention, it only requires a few ingredients! Give this delicious and hearty soup a try and you’ll be adding it to your list of go-to comfort foods in no time.
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 fresh oregano leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 large potatoes, diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in oregano and potatoes, stirring often and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper, stirring to combine. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth and bay leaf. Cover and bring to a boil. Then, reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Stir in any additional desired seasoning and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf before serving.
This homemade tomato potato soup is a unique twist on a classic dish that is sure to impress. The mix of flavours is tantalising and hard to resist. From the warmth of the red onion and garlic, to the zing of the oregano, this combination of ingredients make for a truly irresistible flavour. Even better, its easy to make in a pinch – the perfect fall comfort food.
To mix it up a bit, try experimenting with different herbs and spices for an extra edge of flavour! For something a little different, you can add some shredded chicken and peas to make it a main dish. Or, for a vegan-friendly offering, war some cooked chickpeas and serve over quinoa or brown rice.
No matter how you enjoy it, this tomato potato soup is sure to make your next meal one to remember. Enjoy!