Hold onto your bread pans people, because Priya has cooked up a delicious recipe for banana bread that’s sure to tantalize your taste buds and fill your appetite! This moist and fluffy treat is jam-packed with flavor, featuring fragrant notes of cinnamon and nutmeg and a hint of sweetness from the ripe bananas.
The recipe is surprisingly simple and requires minimal ingredients, making it the perfect quick fix for when you’re in the mood for something sweet and comforting. Though it generally consists of typical baking ingredients, there’s an unexpected twist of spices that gives the bread a unique flavor and an exotic touch.
The dish is rooted in the traditional cuisine of South Asia and the broader Indian subcontinent. It’s similar to other sweet breads and cakes found throughout the region, like mahanty and biskooti. These dishes often include ingredients such as mango, nuts, and poppy seeds.
Every time I make this banana bread, it’s always a hit. My family and friends eagerly devour it and ask for more – it’s a major crowd-pleaser. I can’t help but think back to the family dinners where my grandmother served this same dish. Her secret blend of spices and herbs was the main difference between her recipe and the one I use now. She was an incredible cook and her recipes are some of my favorite memories.
So, without further ado let’s get to the recipe!
Priya’s Banana Bread
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• ¾ teaspoon baking soda
• ½ teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
• ½ cup butter, melted
• ½ cup light brown sugar
• 2 large eggs
• 2 cups mashed bananas (about 3 large bananas)
• 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the melted butter, brown sugar, eggs, mashed banana, and vanilla.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly.
6. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
7. Once done, remove from the oven and cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Then remove from pan and let cool completely before slicing and serving.
And there you have it! Priya’s Banana Bread is sure to become a staple in your household. Try it out and let me know what you think!