Pregnant Soup – a Hearty and Nutritious Meal for a Special Occasion
When I think of Pregnant Soup, my mind automatically goes to my grandmother’s house in Savannah. This hearty and nourishing soup is an old Southern favorite that has been passed down through generations. All of the ingredients are steeped in cultural influence and steeped in flavor. This special soup is perfect for a baby shower or any special occasion.
• 2 tablespoons of butter
• 1 onion, chopped
• 2 cloves of garlic, minced
• 2 stalks of celery, chopped
• 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
• 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
• 2 cups chicken broth
• 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
• 2 cups of baby spinach
• 1/2 cup of pitted green olives
• 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
• 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper
• 2 cups of cooked chicken, diced
• 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large Dutch oven or soup pot, melt the butter over medium heat.
2. Add the onion, garlic, celery, and carrots. Sauté until golden, 6–8 minutes.
3. Add the flour and stir to combine.
4. Slowly stir in the chicken broth and then add the potatoes. Simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Add the baby spinach, olives, cumin, red pepper, and cooked chicken. Simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
6. Stir in the Parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper.
7. Serve and enjoy!
This delectable soup has a unique combination of flavors that really make it stand out from other soups. The cumin and red pepper give it a slight kick, while the olives provide a briny flavor and the Parmesan cheese adds a delicious cheesy note. Pregnant Soup can be served as a light one-pot meal or as a hearty side dish to a bigger feast.
Although this soup is most often served during baby showers in Southern culture, any occasion can benefit from this special soup. Its balance of flavors and textures make it a delightfully enjoyable meal.
If you’re feeling inventive, this recipe is a great platform to take and make your own. Consider adding roasted red peppers, Italian sausage, diced tomatoes, or even diced ham to give this soup an added kick of flavor. No matter how you change the recipe, it’s sure to be delicious.
Your family will love indulging in this flavourful Pregnant Soup. Make it for your next special occasion, and enjoy the heartiness, flavor, and culture combined into every spoonful.