Lekue Bread: An Easy Ancient Recipe
What do you get when you combine a bit of ancient history, an unforgettable flavor, and simplicity all in one recipe? That’s right – Lekue Bread! This savory food dish has been a source of enjoyment for centuries with its rustic charm and delicious flavor.
This incredibly easy recipe dates back to Ancient Ireland & is made with a base of whole-wheat flour. It’s mixed with a combination of Irish wild thyme and oregano, along with sea salt & olive oil. All the ingredients combined make a hearty, fragrant dish that’s unique in almost every way.
• 4 cups whole-wheat flour
• 2 Tbsp. Irish wild thyme, plus more for garnish
• 1 Tbsp. oregano
• 2 tsp. sea salt
• 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
• 2¼ cups lukewarm water
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, thyme, oregano, and salt.
3. Add in the olive oil and mix into the dry ingredients, until it becomes a slightly crumbly mixture.
4. Gradually add in the lukewarm water, stirring until the dough comes together.
5. Knead the dough for 3 to 5 minutes until it becomes a smooth ball.
6. On a lightly floured surface, roll out or press down the dough and form into a round shape.
7. Place the dough onto a greased baking sheet and lightly brush with the remaining oil.
8. Bake for approximately 45 minutes.
9. Allow it to cool before serving.
This delicious treat is the perfect accompaniment for any appetizer or main course. The unique combination of flavors creates an unforgettable taste and texture that won’t soon be forgotten. Plus, the addition of extra-virgin olive oil gives this dish a slight hint of fruity, nutty undertones, bringing out the flavor of the herbs & spices.
For an even more indulgent, comforting experience, top the Lekue Bread with a variety of cheeses, or even garlic butter or pesto. Aside from its deliciousness, this ancient recipe can be appreciated for its simplicity. Despite its rustic charm, the ingredients & directions are all easy to acquire & follow.
So if you’re looking for a unique, easy dish with a historic flair, Lekue Bread is definitely the way to go!