Soft & Sweet: A Perfectly Loaded Honey Babka Cake
There’s something about a Honey Babka cake that draws the crowd. Whether it’s for a festive gathering or an everyday treat, this recipe is sure to be a hit! Ideal for all kinds of occasions, its rich, aromatic, and decadently satisfying flavours will delight everyone.
This buttery sweet cake is traditionally Ukrainian and is incredibly easy to pull together. It’s made using a gooey honey mixture that oozes out when baked to create a smooth and indulgent cake, with a crunchy walnut topping to complete the decadent flavour profile. Its irresistible aroma is sure to draw friends and family to your door.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup chopped toasted walnuts
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- Add the butter and mix with a pasty blender until it forms a crumbly texture.
- Add the milk and eggs, and mix until a dough forms.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface for 3-4 minutes.
- Roll out the dough in a circular shape, approximately 16 inches (40 cm) in diameter.
- Combine honey and cinnamon together.
- Spread the honey mixture over the dough, leaving a 2-inch (5 cm) margin around the edges.
- Sprinkle the toasted walnuts over the honey mixture.
- Fold the edges of the dough up over the filling, pressing lightly.
- Transfer the dough onto a parchment-lined baking sheet, and bake in a preheated oven at 350 F (180 C) for 25-30 minutes.
- Once baked, allow the Honey Babka Cake to cool before serving.
The unique and delicious flavours of this Honey Babka Cake come together to create an irresistible and comforting dessert for any occasion. With its smooth, soft, and sweet crumb, it is the perfect accompaniment to coffee or tea. So go ahead and whip up a batch to share with friends – they’ll be sure to love it!
Why not try experimenting with different flavour combinations, such as adding caramel or chocolate? You could even combine other traditional European flavours, like those used in French madeleines or Italian panettone. There’s so much you can do! Whatever you choose, the Honey Babka Cake is sure to be an indulgent treat.