Taste the Carribean: Bahamian Guava Cake Recipe
Ahh…the deliciously sweet and aromatic flavor of the carribean caresses the taste buds with each bite of this traditional Bahamian guava cake. Rich with the unique, and sometimes tart, flavor of the Caribbean fruit mix, it is a unique and vibrant desert that’s sure to please and surprise.
To make this guava cake, you’ll need to gather some ingredients. So first off, you’ll need:
- 2/3 cup of butter
- 1/3 cup of shortening
- 2 cups of granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1.5 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup of guava concentrate
- 2.5 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and line the lower sides of a 9×13 inch baking pan.
- In a small bowl, add the baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix together and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together butter, shortening and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time and mix until fully incorporated. Add the vanilla extract and guava concentrate and mix.
- Gradually add the flour mixture, beating until just blended.
- Pour the batter into the greased and lined pan and bake for about 35 minutes. Test for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center; if it comes out clean, the cake is done.
- Allow the cake to cool before serving.
This Bahamian guava cake is full of tradition and packed with bold “Caribbean” flavors. When done correctly, this delightful treat has a uniquely sweet and tart taste that can be compared to no other desert around. Give it a try and you won’t be disappointed!
For those of you looking for other recipes with a similar flavor profile, you may also want to check out Jamaican black cake for another sweet and tart carribean delight. Or if you’re looking for something a bit more savory, why not try making a traditional seafood Pan de Coco?
No matter what you make, your taste buds will thank you for your culinary exploration and adventures through the flavors of the Caribbean. Enjoy!