Welcome to the Tastiest Guyanese Bread Recipe
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ teaspoon yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup warm water
Are you looking for a unique way to liven up your bread baking repertoire? Look no further than this delicious recipe for Guyanese Bread! This rustic bread is bursting with flavor and has a fascinating background in Caribbean culture.
This particular version of the beloved Guyanese bread is a version that has been in my family for generations. It’s a robust, the doughy bread that is sure to please the whole family. I love experimenting with different ingredients and methods to jazz up this beloved recipe.
- In food processor, combine the whole wheat and all purpose flour, sugar, yeast, and salt. Pulse for about 15 seconds.
- Add the vegetable oil and warm water, and pulse for another 20-30 seconds until the ingredients are blended.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and knead for about 5-7 minutes.
- Return the kneaded dough to the food processor and blend on low speed for 1-2 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Cover the dough in a bowl, and let it rest for 1-2 hours. It will approximately double in size.
- On the lightly floured work surface, roll out the dough into a an large oval shape.
- Fold one-third from the top of the dough over to the bottom, and turn the dough heated. Roll out again into an oval.
- Place the rolled dough in a lightly oiled baking sheet, cover with a damp cloth and let rise for about 30-40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake for 25-35 minutes.
- Remove the Guyanese bread from the oven and let cool on a wire rack. Serve warm or cold.
Guyanese bread is a tasty treat that you can enjoy warm or cold! The wonderful aroma of freshly baked bread that emanates from the kitchen is sure to bring smiles to everyone. As soon as it’s pulled out of the oven, its sweet and enchanting aroma fills the room. The texture is incredibly soft and fluffy, while the crust is mindblowing!
This delightful recipe is an excellent addition to your dinner menu. It pairs well with soup, stew, and even just butter! So don’t be afraid to break from the norm and try out this unique and scrumptious Guyanese bread recipe. You won’t regret it!