Dive into the depths of Brennan’s Turtle Soup
Move over traditional chicken noodle soup, Brennan’s Turtle Soup is here to take centre stage and dazzle away your palate! This unique, humble yet delicious dish hails from New Orleans, Louisiana with its potent medley of flavors – a must-have dish to begin with!
It all begins with a concoction of turtle meat, water and onions to create the base of the soup. Turtle meat may sound dubious but is packed with protein and is surprisingly sweet with a certain savory zing that can’t be found in any other protein. To bring out the flavor of the turtle meat, a myriad of seasonings are added to deepen and round out the flavor as well as infusing the soup with Creole influences. From thyme and bay leaves to a pinch of cayenne pepper, the ingredients blend together to create a taste sensation like no other.
To enhance its complexity, you can even fit in a handful of sherry or white wine – unique aromas and tastes abound! Though this may sound a little perplexing, it brings an extra depth of flavor.
Bursting with flavor and unique ingredients, Brennan’s Turtle Soup is a special dish that will leave your taste buds light up and your heart filled with warmth and happiness. Give this recipe a go and see for yourself just how delicious it is. You won’t be disappointed!
– 2 lbs turtle meat
– 2 qts water
– 1 large onion, chopped
– 3 celery ribs, chopped
– 3 carrots, chopped
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 2 bay leaves
– 1 tsp minced thyme
– 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
– 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
– 1/2 cup sherry (optional)
– Salt & freshly ground pepper
– Chopped parsley for garnish
1. Place the turtle meat, water, onions, celery, carrots, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, and cayenne pepper in a large stockpot.
2. Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 2 hours, stirring frequently.
3. Skim any foam that rises to the surface with a slotted spoon.
4. Add the Worcestershire sauce and sherry (if using), then season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Simmer for 30 minutes more.
6. Remove the bay leaves before serving.
7. Garnish with chopped parsley and a sprinkle of freshly ground pepper.
Enjoy Brennan’s Turtle Soup at your next gathering! With its richness of flavors and unique ingredients, it’s sure to be a hit with everyone at the table. Bon appetit!