Zaalouk is a traditional Algerian salad made of roasted eggplant, garlic, tomatoes, and herbs. It is popular throughout the North African country and is eaten either as a side dish or as a dip for bread. This delicious and healthy dish is as easy to prepare as it is flavorful, making it a great option for dinner parties and larger gatherings.
This hearty eggplant dish is a great addition to any Mediterranean-inspired meal. Not only is Zaalouk full of flavor, but it’s made with wholesome ingredients that are good for you. The roasted garlic adds depth and depth of flavor to the mix while the herbs bring brightness and complexity to the taste. It is a wonderful way to eat eggplant that is guaranteed to please.
• 2 large eggplants, cut into cubes
• 4 cloves of garlic, minced
• 2 large tomatoes, diced
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• Salt and Pepper to Taste
1. Preheat your oven to 400°F and bring a pot of water to boil.
2. Place the eggplant cubes in a colander, sprinkle with salt, and let rest for 10 minutes.
3. Place the colander in the pot of boiling water, lower the heat to a simmer, and cook the eggplant for 12 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, place the minced garlic, tomatoes, and herbs in a large bowl and mix together.
5. Drain the eggplant and add it to the bowl with the other ingredients.
6. Drizzle the olive oil over the salad and season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Transfer the salad to a baking dish and roast on the preheated oven at 400°F for 20 minutes.
8. Serve the Zaalouk warm with a crispy piece of French or Italian bread. Enjoy!