Tunisian Tajine Recipe
Tunisian Tajine is a classic North African dish that must be tasted to be believed! This comforting stew is loaded with a variety of flavours and textures: sweet and savoury, spicy and subtle, smooth and crunchy. It has warm, comforting spices, like cumin and cinnamon, and is finished with tart and acidic flavours like lemon and olives. Tunisian Tajine is a delicious stew that is sure to delight the whole family.
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 2 onions, finely chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon ground coriander
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/4 teaspoon chili pepper
• 1 teaspoon tomato paste
• 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
• 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 2 cups canned chickpeas, drained
• 2 carrots, thinly sliced
• 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
• 2 sweet potatoes, cubed
• 1/2 cup green olives, pitted and halved
• 1 cup vegetable broth
• 1 lemon, thinly sliced
• Chopped parsley and toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until the onions are softened and lightly browned.
2. Add the cumin, coriander, cinnamon, chili pepper, tomato paste, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
3. Add the chickpeas, carrots, bell pepper, sweet potatoes, olives, and broth. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
4. Add the lemon slices and simmer for 5 minutes more.
5. Serve garnished with parsley and toasted sesame seeds. Enjoy!