What Is Steamed Cassava Cake?
Steamed cassava cake is an enticing treat with unique flavors, textural qualities and cultural elements. Originating from the Philippines, it’s a light, fluffy, and delicately sweet cake made from freshly grated cassava, coconut milk and sugar. The cake has a wonderfully creamy texture adding a rich mouth feel, while the steaming process creates a mellow sweetness and delightful aroma.
A Classic Recipe with a Delicious Twist
If you enjoy creatively experimenting with traditional recipes, the steamed cassava cake is the ideal candidate for your next kitchen project. The core ingredients are not difficult to find, yet the result is a delectable, whimsical cake that will surprise and delight. This is one of those special recipes that is as much an art as it is a science.
Ingredients You’ll Need for This Deliciousness
• 2 lbs of fresh cassava, peeled and grated
• 2 cups of coconut milk
• 1 cup of evaporated milk
• 1/2 cup of sugar
• 2 tbsps of melted butter
• 2 tsps of salt
Instructions For Making Steamed Cassava Cake
1. Put the grated cassava in a big bowl and mix in the melted butter.
2. Gradually add coconut milk, evaporated milk and sugar.
3. Stir the mixture until everything is well blended.
4. Add the salt, mix altogether and set aside.
1. Grease a 9-inch cake pan with butter.
2. Pour in the cassava mixture and even it out.
3. Place the cake pan in a steamer.
4. Let the steam cook the cake for about 25 to 30 minutes.
5. Remove the cake from the steamer and let it cool before slicing.
A Pleasant Result: A Great Dish with Many Characteristics
When finished, the Cassava Cake is light, lush and airy, with subtle sweet and savory notes. The tender but dense texture is both perplexing and tantalizing. Serve this traditional cake in generous slices and enjoy the flavors of Southeast Asia in a one-of-a-kind bite.
Steamed cassava cake is a dynamic and enjoyable dish that provides plenty of opportunity for experimentation. Many cultures have their own unique versions with slight variations in ingredients and preparation. When you try this recipe at home, you’ll be sure to unlock new discoveries that make this classic dish your own.