Smashed Chicken: The Juicy, Crispy Centerpiece of a Perfectly Balanced Meal
You know what they say: the family that cooks together, stays together! And when your family comes together for a meal, there’s nothing quite like a finger-licking-good entree like smashing chicken.
Smashed chicken is a delectably democratic dish, in which each person can get as creative as they wish. Its base ingredients are simple—chicken, potatoes, garlic, and onion—but its diverse array of accompanying spices and herbs can take smashed chicken to the next level. Plus, its equally delicious whether you choose to bake or fry it, making it the perfect one-dish meal that can be tailored to the individual preferences of each family member.
An International Favorite
Due to its simplicity and flexibility, smashed chicken is enjoyed around the globe, with culture-specific variations making it unique to each place. In Colombia, for example, it’s topped off with a cucumber and lime dressing that adds a zesty energy. In Mexico, cilantro and limes are a must for an extra zing. And in El Salvador, it’s earned a reputation for being the centerpiece of a hearty, home-cooked meal.
– 2lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
– 3 potatoes, cut into cubes
– 1 onion, finely chopped
– 4 garlic cloves, crushed
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– 1 teaspoon ground cumin
– 1 teaspoon chili powder
– 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
– Salt, to taste
– Pepper, to taste
– ½ cup chicken stock
– Juice of 1 lemon
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Place chicken, potatoes and onion on a baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil and season with cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, salt and pepper.
3. Pour chicken stock around the chicken and place in the preheated oven.
4. Bake for 20 minutes.
5. Remove the tray from the oven and, using a heavy object, flatten the chicken pieces to approximately ¼ inch in thickness.
6. Return to the oven and bake for an additional 20-25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and potatoes are crispy and golden.
7. Squeeze with fresh lemon juice and serve.
Smashed chicken is a plate full of deliciousness just as-is, but if your family enjoys variety, combine it with additional dishes to craft a whole meal. For a more savory take, try serving it with roasted vegetables and a bright, freshly-made salad. Or, for a more family-friendly fare, serve with a side of macaroni and cheese and steamed carrots.
No matter how you serve it, a great meal requires balance. That’s why this unique little dish—smashed chicken—always deserves a place on the dinner table. Bon appetit!