Volcano Chicken: a Recipe for a Burst of Comfort Food Flavor
Volcano Chicken—also known as Pollo al Volcán in some circles—is a flavorful, creative dish that brings together distinct ingredients from around the world to form a comforting and unique culinary experience. From its notable Mexican origins, to the especially intriguing burst of flavor created by its combination of uncommon items, this is a recipe that’s sure to bring a bit of surprise to your kitchen table.
• 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
• 1 onion, diced
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 green pepper, diced
• 1 red pepper, diced
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 4 tablespoons tomato paste
• 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
• 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
• 2 tablespoons soy sauce
• 1 teaspoon honey
• 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
• 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 1 teaspoon oregano
• Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken thighs and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the onion, garlic, green pepper and red pepper and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the tomato paste, white wine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, honey, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper and oregano.
5. Pour the mixture over the chicken and vegetables in the skillet and stir to combine.
6. Transfer the contents of the skillet to a baking dish and bake for 25-30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
7. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
Volcano Chicken is fantastic when served with rice, mashed potatoes, couscous or a vegetable medley. Sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley for an extra burst of flavor.
Volcano Chicken reaches a whole new level of flavor and excitement with the burst of international ingredients and the unfamiliar combination of flavors. The marriage of sweet and savory, brought together in the form of honey, paprika, and cayenne pepper, is truly a taste of the unexpected.
This recipe is a perfect example of the surprising and exciting way in which different flavors, ingredients and cultures come together to create something unexpected and delicious. If you’d like to explore more of the bold flavors and culinary traditions, this is a great place to start. For example, you may want to add some black beans for a Southwestern twist, or some crushed red pepper for a hint of heat. There’s a lot of potential for fun and creativity in this recipe—experiment, try something new and have fun in the kitchen.
So the next time you’re looking for a tantalizing and unforgettable taste experience, give Volcano Chicken a try. You won’t be disappointed.