Shaved Beef Empanadas: An Amazing Way to Elevate Your Next Meal
Shaved beef empanadas are an amazing way to elevate any meal. Nothing quite compares to the delightful crunch of a freshly baked empanada crust surrounding juicy, delicious shredded beef. The dish is perfect for an evening meal, an appetizer, or as part of a larger Spanish-style meal.
Classic Shaved Beef Empanada Recipe
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 6 tablespoons of chilled butter
- ¼ cup of vegetable shortening
- 6-8 tablespoons of cold water
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable or canola oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 pounds of shaved beef
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- ½ teaspoon of ground cumin
- To make the dough: In a medium bowl, combine the flour and salt. Cut in the butter and shortening using a pastry cutter until the mixture looks like cornmeal. Slowly add the cold water and stir until the dough is formed.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface, knead it until it is smooth, and then shape it into a ball. Wrap it in plastic wrap and place it in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the onion, garlic, and bell pepper and cook until they are softened (about 5 minutes). Add the shaved beef and cook until it is browned (about 10 minutes).
- Add the chili powder, cumin, and any other desired seasonings. Cook for an additional 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and roll it out to about 1/8 inch thick. Using a round cutter, cut out circles of dough about the size of the palm of your hand.
- Place a spoonful of the beef mixture on one half of each dough circle. Gently fold the other half over the mix and crimp the edges with a fork to seal. Place the empanadas on the baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove the empanadas from the oven and allow them to cool slightly before serving.
Shaved beef empanadas are a delicious dish that can be served as a meal, an appetizer, or an accompaniment to other meals. With their crunchy crust and flavorful beef filling, these empanadas are sure to be a hit. With the simple ingredients and straightforward instructions listed above, you’ll be able to make this dish in no time at all. Enjoy!