Wilting for a Bite of This Roadside Chicken?
Ever been walking down the street in search of a quick bite and find yourself inexplicably drawn towards the smell of a fragrant and indulgent meal? Introducing you to the sensational Roadside Chicken recipe guaranteed to leave your taste buds tingling with delight.
This traditional dish, unique to the middle-eastern part of the world, is a classic combination of succulent chicken cooked in a creamy tomato-based sauce, paired with a bed of fluffy and herbed basmati rice. The heavenly blend of flavors begins with the chicken, marinated in a blend of garlic, ginger paste, coriander leaves, and curry powder, then cooked with natural yogurt, onion, and bell pepper before simmering in a delicious tomato-based sauce.
To complete the spectacular dish, all that’s left is to prepare the rice. Simply add butter to a large pan with basmati rice and a pinch of saffron and cardamom until combined with all the aromatic spices. The result? Soft, fluffy, and fragrant basmati rice that’s guaranteed to leave you with a radiantly looking plate and a full heart.
Making It Yours
If you’re looking for a personalized flavor and texture combination, it’s easy to make this dish your own. Spicier? You can add more spicy chili pepper or chili flakes. Prefer a milder flavor? Opt for less chili pepper. You can also add a splash of lime and orange at the end to add some sourness to your meal.
Serving It Up
The key to the perfect plate of Roadside Chicken lies in the creative plating! Crown the fluffy basmati with a generous heap of the creamy tomato based curry before scattering it with fresh cilantro. Serve with a side of pita bread or warm naan, and you’ve got an extravaganza of flavor and texture. This sensational and succulent dish is sure to have your guests ooh’ing and aah’ing.
Let’s get cooking!
Roadside Chicken Recipe
- 1 lb chicken breasts or thighs, cubed
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups basmati rice, rinsed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Pinch of saffron
- Pinch of cardamom
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Lime wedges, optional
- Warm Naan or Pita bread, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the cubed chicken with garlic paste, ginger paste, coriander, and curry powder. Mix to combine and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken marinade to the pan and cook for 5 minutes, stirring to ensure it is evenly cooked.
- Stir in the yogurt, onion, and bell pepper and cook for an additional 5 minutes until the onion is soft and fragrant.
- Add the canned tomatoes and cook, stirring, until the sauce is hot and bubbling. Reduce heat to low and continue to simmer for 15 minutes.
- In a large pot, melt butter and add the Basmati rice, saffron, and cardamom. Stir to combine and add 2-3 cups water. Bring to a rolling boil then reduce the heat to a simmer for 20 minutes.
- Divide the cooked rice amongst plates and then spoon chicken curry on top. Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve with lime wedges and warm Naan or Pita bread, if desired.
Nothing is more indulgent than a plate of Roadside Chicken! With its creamy and flavorful tomato based sauce, delicious pairing of marinated chicken and fluffy basmati, and the creative plating to top it off, this Middle Eastern dish is sure to have your senses swimming with euphoria. So go ahead, give it a try and don’t forget to serve it up with a side of love. Enjoy!