Crisp and Comforting Rhubarb Chicken
Chances are, you probably haven’t thought of combining sweet and savory flavors to make a delicious meal. But don’t knock it until you’ve tried it – rhubarb chicken is a fantastic dish that delivers the best of both worlds and then some. This unique spin on classic honey-dijon chicken offers a refreshing sweetness and unbelievable succulence, perfect for a cozy night at home.
- ¾ cup of sweet white wine or cider (any variation will work)
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 2 tablespoons of Dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 2 cups of diced peeled rhubarb
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup of freshly chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease a shallow baking dish with a little bit of oil and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the white wine, honey, mustard, and olive oil. Taste the marinade and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the marinade into the prepared baking dish and add the chicken breasts. Make sure the chicken is evenly coated in the marinade and turn it every few minutes.
- In a separate bowl, toss together the diced rhubarb and cinnamon. Add the diced rhubarb to the baking dish, and spread it out evenly around the chicken.
- Cover the baking dish with a lid or aluminum foil and transfer to the oven. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the rhubarb has softened.
- Serve warm, topped with freshly chopped parsley. Enjoy!
The End Result
Rhubarb chicken is a great way to bring out the sweetness present in perfectly cooked chicken breasts. The contrast of crisp and succulent meat, flavored with a douse of sweet white wine, and softened diced rhubarb is something to behold. The result is a much-coveted sweet-savory flavor that pairs wonderfully with steamed vegetables or a side salad. Invite your family to dinner and try this unique dinner experience – your taste buds will thank you!