Mexican Arroz con Pollo (Rice with Chicken)
Mexican Arroz con Pollo is a classic comforting dish of savory chicken and rice, full of flavor and bursting with Latin spices. This delicious one-dish meal is easy to make, family-friendly, and can be ready to enjoy in about an hour.
If you love Mexican cuisine as much as we do, this flavorful dish is sure to become a cherished family favorite in your home. Read on for the full Mexican Arroz con Pollo recipe.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (3 pound) whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro (optional)
- Lime wedges, for serving (optional)
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet or Dutch oven. Pat chicken dry with paper towels and add to the pan. Cook, turning once, until golden brown and cooked through, about 8 minutes. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the onions and garlic to the pan, cooking until the onions are softened and lightly golden, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cumin, smoked paprika, chili powder, salt, and pepper and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Pour in the diced tomatoes and black beans and stir to combine. Place the chicken back in the pan, nestling it in the tomato mixture.
- Add the chicken broth to the pan and bring to a boil. Stir in the long grain white rice and reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 20 minutes, or until the rice is cooked through and most of the liquid has been absorbed. Fluff with a fork, taste, and adjust seasonings. Enjoy with freshly chopped cilantro and lime wedges, if desired.
Mexican Arroz con Pollo is a wonderfully flavorful dish that’s sure to become a favorite in your home. Serve it with a crisp and refreshing salad or classic Mexican sides like refried beans or black beans. Enjoy!