Tzatziki is a popular Greek dip and condiment originating from the Mediterranean. It is quick and easy to make, delicious, and best of all, healthy! It’s one of those dishes that you can make ahead for a night of entertaining, or simply make up a batch for lunch. And though its main ingredients – yogurt, cucumber and garlic – may seem simple, the combination of these flavors create an incredibly zesty, flavorful and creamy condiment.
Tzatziki is popularly served with grilled meats or vegetables, but can also be enjoyed as a dip with fresh vegetables or crackers, or as a spread on sandwiches or wraps. It’s also a popular topping for gyros, falafel and other Greek-style dishes. There are so many way to enjoy it, it’s no wonder tzatziki is so popular.
Plus, the addition of Greek-style yogurt adds a good dose of protein and probiotics to your diet. Not only is tzatziki zesty and delicious, it’s also is a healthy addition to your meals. So let’s see how to whip up this tasty dip!
- Cucumber, peeled and seeded
- 2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh dill, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional: 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil to serve
- Grate the cucumber into a bowl.
- Squeeze out the excess moisture by pressing it with a paper towel.
- Add the yogurt and mix together.
- Add the minced garlic, fresh dill, lemon juice, salt and pepper, and stir to combine.
- Cover the bowl and let the flavors meld in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Before serving, add a drizzle of olive oil (optional).
That’s all it takes to make this delicious Mediterranean condiment! Tzatziki is a great option for all kinds of meals, whether it’s served as a dip or spread on sandwiches. The combination of cool cucumber, creamy yogurt and zesty herbs makes it a flavorful and healthy addition to your meals. Enjoy!