Mediterranean Fattoush Recipe
Fattoush is a flavorful salad popular in Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisine. It’s typically made with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, bell peppers, and mint and then topped with fried or toasted pita bread and a flavorful dressing. This Mediterranean Fattoush recipe adds some additional ingredients like chickpeas, parsley, and sumac, as well as pomegranate seeds and feta cheese, to make a truly delicious and satisfying meal.
– 4 cups Romaine lettuce, chopped
– 2 large tomatoes, diced
– 1 cucumber, diced
– 1 red bell pepper, diced
– 1 can (14 ounces) chickpeas, drained
– ½ cup minced fresh parsley
– 2 tablespoons sumac
– 2 tablespoons fresh mint, finely chopped
– ¼ cup pomegranate seeds
– 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
– 3 tablespoons olive oil
– 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
– 2 teaspoons honey
– Salt and pepper to taste
– 1/3 cup feta cheese, crumbled
– 2 whole wheat pita pockets, cut into small cubes
1. In a large bowl, mix together lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, chickpeas, parsley, and mint.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together sumac, olive oil, lemon juice, honey, salt and pepper. Pour the dressing over the salad and mix to combine.
3. Add pomegranate seeds, pine nuts, and feta cheese to the salad and mix to combine.
4. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the pita cubes and cook until lightly toasted.
5. Add the toasted pita cubes to the salad and mix to combine. Serve immediately. Enjoy!