Mediterranean Burek Recipe
Burek is a savoury pastry popular in the Mediterranean countries, particularly Turkey, Bulgaria and Greece. This old-world recipe makes a delightful appetizer or a great midday snack. Here is a delicious Mediterranean Burek recipe.
- 2 cups of Plain Flour
- 1/2 cup of Greek Yoghurt
- 1/4 cup of Olive Oil
- 1 tsp of Salt
- 3/4 cup of Feta Cheese
- 2 cups of Spinach
- 1/4 cup of Parsley Leaves
- 1/4 cup of Toasted Sesame Seeds
- 1/4 cup of Toasted Sunflower Seeds
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
1. Preheat the oven 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. In a large bowl mix the flour, yoghurt, oil, and salt together to create a soft dough.
3. Dust a flat surface with some flour. Knead the dough for about 8 minutes, until it becomes smooth and pliable.
4. Divide the dough into 5 sections.
5. Roll out each section of dough until it is very thin and shape into a rectangle.
6. Place a layer of cheese and spinach on one side of the dough. Sprinkle the parsley leaves, sesame, sunflower seeds and garlic over the cheese and spinach.
7. Fold the other half of the dough over the spinach to form a rectangle.
8. Place the Burek on a baking sheet.
9. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
10. Serve hot. Enjoy!
These savoury Mediterranean Burek are sure to be a hit with your family. The combination of feta, spinach, garlic and herbs adds to a delightful flavour. Serve as a mid-day snack or as an appetizer at your next party. Enjoy!