Cooking up some Sweet & Spicy Manchurian Chicken
Nothing quite screams flavour like a plate of manchurian chicken, a classic Asian-inspired dish that combines sweet and sour elements with spicy overtones. It’s a dish that is likely to evoke some fond memories for many, whether it’s the first time tasting the complex flavours or the comforting familiarity of having had it before.
The Origins of Manchurian Chicken
Though this popular dish is now served in many Asian-style restaurants around the world, the original recipe was likely invented in the Manchurian region of south-eastern China. While the classic version may vary in ingredients and preparation methods across cultures, the overall flavour of sweet and sour with a lightly spiced kick is the same.
Bringing Manchurian Chicken to the Table
If you are looking to try something a little new and different in the kitchen tonight, we have the perfect recipe for you. This delicious Manchurian chicken dish is packed with flavour and easier to make than you may expect.
• 1 pound boneless chicken, diced
• 2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
• 1 tablespoon ginger root, minced
• 4 tablespoons soy sauce
• 2 tablespoons rice wine or white wine
• 1 tablespoon white vinegar
• 2 tablespoons chili garlic sauce
• 3 tablespoons brown sugar
• 2 tablespoons corn starch
• 2 tablespoons sesame oil
• 4 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
• 4 green onions, sliced on diagonal
1. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the diced chicken and cook until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
2. Add the garlic and ginger and stir-fry until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
3. Add the soy sauce, rice wine, white vinegar, chili garlic sauce, and brown sugar. Stir until well combined.
4. Dissolve the corn starch in a small amount of cold water, then add to the skillet. Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly, until the sauce has thickened.
5. Stir in the sesame oil, then remove from heat.
6. Garnish with green onions and serve with steamed rice.
As an added bonus, this recipe is designed for maxing out the flavour by using leftover cooked chicken. If you have cooked chicken on hand, you can reduce your cooking time by half and just reheat the chicken before adding the remaining ingredients.
So there you have it! One delicious and easy Manchurian chicken recipe that’s sure to please any palate. We promise that the combination of sweet and spicy flavours will have you coming back for seconds. Enjoy!