Lloyd’s Carrot Cake: A Moist, Fluffy Masterpiece
The smell of freshly-baked Lloyds Carrot Cake lingering from the oven is something that brings us all warm nostalgia. Every bite is a delight, featuring moist and fluffy flavors of spiced carrots and zesty lemon zest. From its warm nutmeg and cinnamon notes, to its crunchy walnut topping, this unique and flavorful cake is sure to have you coming back for seconds!
The original recipe for this classic dish has been passed down generations and is believed to have been created in the early 1920’s by the one and only Lloyd. Taking traditional carrot cake to the next level, this recipe features a surprise addition of kiwi and raspberry coulis, elevating the classic flavors of walnuts, raisins, and spices. The sweet and tart addition of the fruit is perfectly balanced with the subtle sweetness of honey, creating a perfectly balanced cake.
What sets this particular recipe apart is its intricate layering technique. Grated carrots are layered at the bottom of the cake and left to settle before the batter is poured on top of them. Due to this step, the carrots remain in perfect shape when the cake is cut and ensure that the slices remain moist and fluffy.
A devilishly divine perfect dessert for any occasion, this carrot cake is incredibly easy to make. All you need is flour, eggs, butter, and a few common pantry ingredients, and you’ll have this dreamy cake ready in no time.
– 2 cups all-purpose flour – 1 teaspoon baking powder – 1 teaspoon baking soda – 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon – 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg – 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar – 1 cup butter, melted and cooled – 4 eggs, room temperature – 2 teaspoons vanilla extract – 2 1/2 cups grated carrot – 1 cup chopped walnuts – 1/2 cup raisins – 1/4 cup honey – 1/4 cup kiwi, chopped – 1/4 cup raspberry coulis
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×13 inch cake pan with cooking spray and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the sugar and melted butter. Add eggs, one at a time, whisking after each addition. Stir in the vanilla extract.
4. Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, stirring until just combined.
5. Spread the grated carrots evenly into the prepared cake pan. Pour the batter over the carrots.
6. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
7. Meanwhile, combine the chopped walnuts, raisins, honey, kiwi, and raspberry coulis in a small bowl.
8. Once the cake is done baking, allow it to cool for 5 minutes. Gently spoon the walnut mixture evenly over the top of the cake.
9. Allow the cake to cool completely before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
This recipe is a testament to the flavor and texture of traditional carrot cake with a delightful twist. Its unique blend of spices, crunchy texture, and surprising addition make for a delicious treat that is sure to be the star of any gathering. Whether it’s for a birthday, family celebration, or just a regular day, Lloyds Carrot Cake will be sure to bring a delicious surprise to the table.