The Sweet, Decadent and Deliciously Gooey Gumdrop Cake
It’s time to surprise your taste buds with this unique, yet delectable dessert – the Gumdrop Cake! Although it looks like a typical layer cake, getting it to the point of perfection involves a few steps of madness. We guarantee that all the effort you put in will be worth it when you get to experience the bursts of flavor flooding your mouth – both sweet and tart.
This special dish is a result of a perfect blend of two cultures – American and Chinese. The Americans, specifically the settlers of Pennsylvania, are to thank for this recipe, which has been around for centuries. But it’s the addition of Chinese-style methodologies like steaming that give it its signature look.
We know you’re as excited as we are for this surprisingly simple yet profoundly delicious dessert. Here’s what you need to get started on making your mouth water – and your eyes to water, too!
– 2 cups granulated sugar
– 2 cups all-purpose flour
– 2 teaspoons baking powder
– 1 teaspoon baking soda
– 1/2 cup butter (at room temperature)
– 2 eggs
– 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
– 1/2 cup buttermilk
– 2 cups gumdrops (small size)
– 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour a 9-inch round cake pan.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, combine sugar, flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
3. In a separate bowl, cream together the butter and eggs until well-combined.
4. Stir in the vanilla extract and buttermilk.
5. Gradually add the sugar mixture to the wet ingredients and mix until everything is blended.
6. Gently fold in the gumdrops.
7. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan.
8. Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
9. Once the cake has cooled, spread the confectioner’s sugar over the top.
The end result? A sweet, gooey and moist cake that will tantalize the taste buds of even the pickiest of eaters. Take a bite of this yummy gumdrop cake and you’ll be hooked! If you’re looking for similar recipes, you should try Neapolitan Pie with Pecans and Figcicles, which also combines different Asian and Western ingredients. So why not give it a shot?
This recipe serves as a reminder that culinary arts are not confined to only one culture. With dishes like Gumdrop Cake, you can find a special combination of ingredients to make for an entirely new kind of luscious dish. Enjoy!