Delicious Greek Stifado: A Staple in Mediterranean Cuisine
Greek stifado is a traditional Mediterranean dish that is rich in flavor and texture. This hearty stew combines unique flavors of garlicky tomato sauce, soft stewed onions, and tender meat. It makes a delicious dinner and can be served with crusty bread or over creamy mashed potatoes.
Greek stifado is often made with beef or lamb, but can be varied with different types of meat and vegetables. When the vegetables are added to the pot, the aroma of the stew is heavenly and can fill the home with the inviting fragrances of a classic Mediterranean dinner.
The name of the dish may have a few different translations, but the components of stifado remain the same. With lovely garlic, onions, and tomatoes as the base of the stew, there are a variety of ingredients you can use to make stifado your own. Greek stifado is a classic cuisine that can bring the tastes of the Mediterranean, right to your dinner table.
Greek Stifado Recipe
• 2 tablespoons of olive or canola oil
• 1 lb of beef (or lamb)
• 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
• 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
• 2 cups of beef broth
• 1/4 cup of fresh oregano
• 1 teaspoon of allspice
• 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
• 2 onions, peeled and diced
• 6 cloves of garlic, minced
• 2 large tomatoes, diced
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned on all sides.
2. Add tomato paste, red wine vinegar, beef broth, oregano, all spice and cinnamon. Stir until combined.
3. Reduce heat to low and let the mixture simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Add the diced onions and garlic and cook for 10 minutes or until the onions are softened.
5. Add the diced tomatoes and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
6. Taste and add salt and pepper as desired.
7. Serve over mashed potatoes or with crusty bread. Enjoy!