Enjoy This Greek-Style Bison Stew With Olives and Feta
When you combine the robust flavor of bison meat with the briny and bright flavors of olives and feta cheese, you get a flavorful and hearty dish that is perfect for chilly, winter nights. This Greek-style bison stew with olives and feta is a delicious and satisfying meal that is sure to please even the pickiest of eaters.
There’s something comforting and cozy about a big pot of stew simmering away on the stove. This bison stew is the perfect cold weather meal, with chunks of bison, hearty vegetables, and an herby, tomato-base to bring everything together. The addition of olives and feta cheese makes it an especially Greek-style dish. Olives give the stew an extra briny, salty dimension, while the feta adds a subtle creaminess and rounded flavor to the dish.
This stew recipe is easy to make and can be on the dinner table in about an hour and a half. Just boil the beef chunks in water for about one hour, or until the beef is tender, before adding the other ingredients. You can also make it in a slow cooker if you’d like. The result is warm, filling, and absolutely delicious.
• 2 pounds of bison stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
• 3 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 medium onions, diced
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 tablespoons tomato paste
• 2 teaspoons dried oregano
• 2 teaspoons dried thyme
• 1 teaspoon dried basil
• 2 cups vegetable broth
• 1 cup water
• 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
• 2 celery stalks, diced
• 1 can of diced tomatoes
• 1/2 cup green olives, pitted and halved
• 1/2 cup feta cheese
1. Start by heating the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook until softened, about 3-4 minutes.
2. Add the tomato paste, oregano, thyme, and basil and cook for an additional 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
3. Add the bison chunks and stir to combine. Pour in the vegetable broth and water and stir again. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and simmer the stew, uncovered, for one hour.
4. After an hour, add the carrots, celery, and tomatoes and simmer for an additional 30 minutes.
5. When the stew has finished cooking, stir in the olives and feta cheese.
6. Serve the stew hot with a garnish of fresh parsley, if desired. Enjoy!