Tantalizingly Tasty Durian Cake – A Recipe with An Asian Accent
If you’re looking to expand your culinary horizons with a delightfully Asian-inspired recipe, this Durian Cake is just the thing. Bursting with intriguing flavours, complex textures and a hint of the exotic, it’s sure to be a hit among adventurous food fans!
Durian, in particular, is a beloved ingredient in Southeast Asia for its unmistakable sweetness and rich, creamy taste. It also makes for a stunning centrepiece for a showstopping cake. For this recipe, we’ll be combining the distinctive flavour of durian with a classic buttery sponge cake, in a marriage of the comforting and the unexpected. The result is a tantalizingly delicious treat that’s truly something special.
– 225g softened butter
– 225g caster sugar
– 4 large eggs
– 225g self-raising flour
– A pinch of salt
– 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
– 250g fresh durian, peeled and cut into small cubes
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4. Grease and line a 20cm round cake tin.
2. In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Beat in the eggs, one at a time until fully combined.
4. Sift in the flour and salt and stir until just combined.
5. Fold in the vanilla extract and diced durian, stirring until evenly distributed.
6. Transfer the cake batter to the prepared tin, levelling off the top.
7. Bake the cake for 30-35 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
8. Allow the cake to cool in the tin before removing, slicing and serving.
A celebration of Asian ingredients, this Durian Cake is an unmissable treat. Its complex layers of flavour, punctuated by sweet durian and a hint of spice, make it a fitting accompaniment to any meal. In many places, durian is a polarising ingredient, but for those of us who love it, this cake is sure to be a winner.
It’s a great option for special occasions and dinner parties, sure to make a lasting impression. With bold flavours and an alluring presentation, this Durian Cake will be an unexpected but much-appreciated addition to any menu.