Charming Diabetes-Friendly Vegetarian Recipe
When it comes to cooking for those living with diabetes, it can feel like an uphill battle when trying to keep things interesting and flavourful. Thankfully, something like this delightful diabetes-friendly vegetarian recipe can help even the most finicky eaters find something to enjoy.
– 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
– 1 Onion (chopped)
– 2 cloves Garlic (minced)
– 2 cups Button Mushrooms (sliced)
– 2 cups Spinach (roughly chopped)
– 1 Bell Pepper (diced)
– 1/2 cup Cooked Quinoa
– 1 can Black Beans (rinsed and drained)
– 2 tablespoons Tomato Paste
– 1/2 teaspoon Chili Powder
– 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cumin
– 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
– 1/4 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
– 1/2 cup Vegan Cheese (grated, plus some extra for serving)
– 1/4 cup Fresh Parsley (chopped, plus some extra for garnishing)
1. Heat a large saucepan over medium heat and add the olive oil, onion, and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes until the vegetables are softened.
2. Add the mushrooms, spinach and bell pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes until vegetables begin to soften.
3. Reduce heat to low and add the cooked quinoa, black beans, tomato paste, chili powder, ground cumin, sea salt and ground black pepper. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and stir in the vegan cheese and freshly chopped parsley.
5. Serve topped with more vegan cheese and parsley.
Convincing a loved one to cook and eat healthier can be a challenge, but with this diabetes friendly vegetarian recipe, it’s made easier. It has all of the flavour and texture that other dishes have, but with a low-sugar twist that’s both satisfying and beneficial for those with diabetes. Enjoy this healthy and colourful concoction as a side dish or main course – your family is sure to love it!