Skip to content
Page load link
Delia’s Banana & Walnut Loaf Recipe
- 4 Medium size bananas approx 350g
- 175g Walnut
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 Heaped teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 110g Plain flour
- 110g Wholemeal flour
- 1 Orange / zest
- 1 Lemon / zest
- 110g Butter / Softened
- 175g Dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tablespoon Demerara sugar
- Grease a 900g loaf tin and pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees C.
- When the oven has preheated, spread the walnuts on a baking tray and dry toast them for 7-8 minutes in the oven. Once done, remove them from the oven, leave to cool for few minutes, then roughly chop them and leave them to the side.
- In a small bowl, puree 3 of the bananas with a fork, and chop the other into 1cm thick chunks.
- Place both the flour, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon into a sift and sift into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients into the bowl, except the bananas and nuts, and use an electric hand whisk to combine the mixture thoroughly, to a smooth texture.
- Lightly fold in the chopped banana and walnuts. You might need to add a drop of milk to help the mixture along. Get it to a consistency where the cake mix easily drops off the spoon when you give it a sharp tap on the side of the bowl.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and level the top with a back of a spoon, and sprinkle on the Demerara sugar. Place the tin in the centre of the oven and bake for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours, until the cake feels springy in the centre.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool in the tin for 5 minutes before turning it out onto a wire rack. Let it cool completely before serving or slicing, otherwise it is likely to just crumble!