Authentic Mapo Tofu Recipe
- 1 lb extra firm tofu
- 1/3 cup ground pork
- 1 tablespoon Sichuan peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons chili paste
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions, to serve
- Remove the excess water from the tofu and cut into cubes, then set aside.
- Over medium heat, heat a tablespoon of vegetable oil in a wok, then add the ground pork and Fry for about one minute.
- Push the pork off to one side and add the Sichuan peppercorns and quickly stir fry for about 10 seconds more.
- Add the garlic, ginger, chili paste and stir fry for about 30 seconds.
- Add the soy sauce, dark brown sugar and sesame oil, then stir fry for a further minute.
- Mix the cornstarch into the chicken broth and stir gently until combined, then pour into the wok.
- Add the tofu and stir gently until everything is well combined, then let the sauce reduce until bubbly.
- Once the tofu is coated in the sauce and the sauce has thickened, turn off the heat and stir in the green onions.
- Serve hot over steamed rice.