Tantalizingly Delicious Chicken Burrito Casserole
Satisfy your Mexican cravings with this scrumptious Chicken Burrito Casserole, perfect for lunch and dinner gatherings. This summery dish packs a punch of flavor with a blend of juicy chicken, crispy bell peppers, and vibrant, zesty Mexican spices. By layering crunchy tortillas, cheesy burrito sauce, and fresh cilantro, this flavorful dinner is guaranteed to become a hit with your family or guests.
– 2-3 cups cooked, shredded chicken
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– 1 small red onion, diced
– 2 red bell peppers, diced
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 2 tablespoons chili powder
– 1 tablespoon ground cumin
– 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
– 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
– 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
– 1 cup salsa
– 1/2 cup vegetable broth
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 8 6-inch flour tortillas
– 2 cups burrito sauce
– 1 cup shredded Colby-Jack cheese
– 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1. Preheat your oven to 375°F.
2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the diced onions and sauté for 4-5 minutes, until softened.
3. Add in the diced bell peppers, garlic, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder. Sauté for 3-4 minutes, until fragrant.
4. Stir in the salsa, vegetable broth, and shredded chicken. Simmer for 8-10 minutes, until the sauce is slightly thickened.
5. Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish. Place two overlapping flour tortillas in the bottom of the dish.
6. Top with half the chicken mixture, spreading it evenly. Top the chicken mixture with 1/2 cup burrito sauce and 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
7. Place two more overlapping tortillas on top of the cheese.
8. Top with the remaining chicken mixture, remaining burrito sauce, and remaining cheese.
9. Place the last two tortillas on top. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
10. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the casserole is heated through.
11. Slice the burrito casserole into 8-10 pieces and serve with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!
This Mexican-inspired casserole is sure to tantalize your taste buds! The most unique feature of this dish is it’s smoky flavor that comes from the addition of smoked paprika. If you love another type of Mexican seasoning, feel free to substitute it in place of the smoked paprika. For a vegetarian option, black beans make a great substitute for the chicken. To make the dish even more decadent, add another layer of creamy sauce below the tortilla layer. This dish is sure to become a hot favourite at your dinner table!