Taste the Explosion of Flavor in this Atomic Cake
Do you want a dessert that will blow your taste buds away? The aptly named atomic cake is sure to do just that! This unique creation isn’t your typical cake as it goes beyond the traditional sweet offerings by incorporating a variety of flavors and tastes.
This dessert packs an atomic-level punch, as it is laced with ginger, cardamom, and saffron that give it a complex flavor palate. Combined with a creamy orange flavored cream cheese frosting, this is a cake that is sure to take your taste buds on a rollercoaster ride.
– 2 cups all-purpose flour
– 1 teaspoon baking powder
– 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
– 1/8 teaspoon salt
– 8 tablespoons butter, room temperature
– 1 cup of granulated sugar
– 2 eggs
– 1 teaspoon vanilla
– 1/2 cup of buttermilk
– 1 teaspoon ground ginger
– 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
– 1 pinch of saffron
– 4 ounces cream cheese, chilled
– 4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
– 1 teaspoon orange zest
– 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 3 cups confectioner’s sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease and flour a 9-inch round pan.
2. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time until combined, then add the vanilla extract.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients alternately with the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Beat until everything is just combined.
5. Stir in the ginger, cardamom and saffron until evenly distributed throughout the batter.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
7. While the cake is cooling, start preparing the frosting. In a medium bowl, beat together the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in the orange zest and vanilla extract.
8. Slowly add the confectioner’s sugar, beating until desired thickness is reached.
9. Spread the frosting over the cooled cake, then sprinkle with a pinch of saffron to garnish.
This atomic cake is the perfect combination of sweet and savory flavors that will tantalize your taste buds. From the creamy orange flavored cream cheese frosting to the contrasting cardamom and saffron, this dessert is sure to create an explosion of flavor on your tongue.
It’s a truly explosive treat, but if you’re looking for something a little simpler, why not try our Red Velvet Cake or our Pistachio Cake, both of which take on a classic flavor combinations with a unique, modern twist.