American Macaroni and Cheese
Americans have been making and enjoying Macaroni and Cheese for generations. Rich, creamy, cheesy and comforting, this dish is a hit at family gatherings and holiday celebrations. In this post, we’ll discuss the traditional American version of Macaroni and Cheese, complete with a recipe for you to try at home.
This beloved classic dish is an example of American comfort food. It has several signature features that set it apart from other variations of Macaroni and Cheese. Unlike the French version of the dish, American Macaroni and Cheese is usually made with a creamy cheese sauce, as opposed to a béchamel base. It also contains plenty of melted cheese, as opposed to just a sprinkling of cheese to top the dish.
American Macaroni and Cheese is usually made with sharp cheddar cheese, creating a rich and flavorful dish. Many home cooks also add a little bit of mustard powder or cayenne pepper to provide an even deeper flavor. For added texture and flavor, some cooks also add a layer of toasted, seasoned breadcrumbs or panko to the top.
No matter how you top it, American Macaroni and Cheese is always a hit. And, this easy recipe is sure to become a favorite in your home.
American Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
• 8 ounces of macaroni or other small pasta
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 2 ¼ cups of 2% milk
• 2 cups of sharp cheddar cheese, grated
• ¾ cup of grated Parmesan
• ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder
• ½ teaspoon of mustard powder
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375°F and lightly grease a medium-sized casserole dish.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook it until al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain the pasta and set it aside.
3. In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Add in the flour and stir to form a roux. Cook the roux, stirring constantly, for 1 or 2 minutes.
4. Slowly whisk in the milk to the roux, stirring constantly until the sauce thickens, about 2 or 3 minutes.
5. Add in the cheddar and Parmesan cheese, stirring until the cheese has melted. Season the cheese sauce with garlic powder, mustard powder, salt and pepper.
6. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cooked macaroni noodles. Pour the noodle and cheese mixture into the prepared baking dish.
7. Bake the macaroni and cheese in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until it’s bubbly and golden on top.
8. Allow the dish to cool for 5 to 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Creating a delicious dish of American Macaroni and Cheese is easy and satisfying. This no-fail recipe will become a fast family favorite.