A Whole Wheat Bread Recipe by King Arthur that Hits the Spot!
If you’re in search of a flavorful, hearty bread with a timeless classic appeal, then this whole wheat bread recipe by King Arthur is definitely your go-to. This loaf yields the perfect combination of flavor, texture, and aroma that you can’t get enough of.
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups lukewarm water
- 2 tablespoons instant yeast
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 4-5 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, mix the oil, honey, salt, and lukewarm water
- Stir in the yeast until dissolved
- Gradually add the whole wheat flour and 3 cups of the all-purpose flour
- Stir until the dough starts to come together.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes, adding up to an additional cup of the all-purpose flour as need to prevent sticking.
- Place in a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap and let it rise for 1 hour in a warm spot.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently shape it into a ball
- Place the dough in a greased 9×5 inch loaf pan, cover with plastic wrap, and let it rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, until the bread is golden.
- Let the bread cool before slicing and serving.
With King Arthur’s recipe, you can create a delicious loaf to suit everyone’s taste. The oil and honey create a wonderfully soft interior with a delightful contrast in the outer crust. The whole wheat flour adds an earthy flavor, as well as a chewy texture that makes this bread a perfect accompaniment to a variety of dishes.
This recipe is a great rendition of the timeless classic, but you can easily modify it to suit your own taste by incorporating your favorite herbs and spices. You could add some fresh rosemary and oregano if you’re feeling adventurous, or maybe some poppy seeds and sesame seeds if you want something with a nutty flavor. The possibilities are truly endless!
If you’re looking for something sweet to go with your freshly-baked, whole wheat bread, you might also want to try out King Arthur’s honey oat bread. It combines the flavor and aroma of honey with the wholesome goodness of oats, making it a perfect snack in-between meals.