Taste the King Arthur Difference with a Homemade White Bread Recipe
When it comes to bread baking, King Arthur is synonymous with excellence. With an emphasis on using quality ingredients, this white bread recipe can be counted on to turn out a consistently rich and soft loaf. But that’s not all – it’s also surprisingly quick and easy to make, so you can have a delicious, crusty loaf on the table in no time.
If you have the basic ingredients of flour, salt and yeast, this recipe will fill your house with the comforting smell of fresh-baked bread without ever having to leave your kitchen. With a few of these foundational elements, plus some butter and sugar, you can create an authentic white bread reminiscent of the beloved loaves baked by the master bakers of yesteryear.
- 4 1/2 teaspoons (2 packets) active dry yeast
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
- Combine the yeast, flour, salt and sugar together in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the butter and blend it into the dry ingredients using your hands.
- Add the lukewarm water and mix the dough until everything comes together, forming a soft mass.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly-floured work surface and knead until it’s smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a lightly-oiled bowl and cover with a damp cloth. Let the dough rise in a warm spot until it has doubled in bulk, about an hour.
- Punch the dough down and shape it into a round loaf on a parchment-paper-covered baking sheet. Let the dough rise again until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- Stroke the surface of the loaf with an egg wash and sprinkle with a pinch of coarse salt.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes until deeply golden.
- Cool on a wire rack before slicing and serving with butter and jam.
The result of this white bread recipe from King Arthur is a fragrant, pillowy loaf with a warm, homey flavor. It’s the ideal accompaniment to any meal, whether it’s fresh-baked soup at lunchtime or a hearty bowl of chili at supper. Plus, customize the finished loaf with your favorite herbs or spices. With the great taste of King Arthur combined with your personal touches, you can bake a loaf that your friends and family will want to savor again and again.