My favorite way to enjoy springtime asparagus is to whip up a batch of creamy, delicious Vitamix Asparagus Soup. This shade-loving vegetable offers a unique flavor and texture that makes for an ever-so-tantalizing soup that’s sure to be a hit at your next dinner party.
Thanks to the versatility of the Vitamix, this soup comes together in minutes and takes remarkably little effort to make. It’s a great way to get a burst of flavor without any fuss. What makes this recipe stand out, though, is the combination of ingredients and some unique cooking methods. To get that perfect ‘velvety-smooth’ texture, we boil the asparagus and blanch it in cold water to tenderize the ends, before blitzing it in the Vitamix. The addition of tangy lemon juice and garlic gives the soup depth and a hint of sourness. It’s finished off with a splash of cream for a touch of richness and creaminess.
In terms of cultural influences, this recipe is a blend of Mediterranean and French flavors. It’s a take on the classic French soup, Asperges Velouté, which is essentially a pureed asparagus soup with a small amount of thickening agent, such as cream or butter. The Mediterranean twist comes from the garlicky notes of garlic, lemon, and cream.
For a ‘heat up the night’ version of this recipe, try adding some spicy chili pepper flakes. Or, to make it a little lighter, skip the cream and add more stock and lemon juice instead. There are so many possibilities to explore and make this dish your own.
So, if you’re looking for a quick, delicious, and easy way to enjoy asparagus, then this Vitamix Asparagus Soup should definitely be on your list of must-tries!
Vitamix Asparagus Soup
- 2Tbsp of Olive Oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2lb of asparagus, cleaned and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 cups of vegetable or chicken stock
- 1/4 cup of heavy cream, optional
- 2 Tbsp of lemon juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and garlic and cook until the onion is softened and fragrant.
- Add the asparagus and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in the stock, cover the pot, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 8 minutes, or until the asparagus is tender.
- Drain the asparagus and return it to the pot. Add the lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Transfer the asparagus soup to a blender and blend until smooth. (Alternatively, use an immersion blender.)
- If using, stir in the heavy cream.
- Return the soup to the pot, heat it up, and serve it hot with fresh parsley, if desired.