Vermont Harvest Cake – Celebrate the Season with Sweet Cinnamon Delight
As the days grow shorter and the colors of the leaves start to deepen, our thoughts turn to the flavors of autumn. One of the best ways to celebrate the harvest season is with a steaming plate of Vermont Harvest Cake. This classic cake, rich with cinnamon and brown sugar, embodies all the cozy comfort of fall.
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9×13 inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the vegetable oil and melted butter. Add the brown sugar and eggs and whisk until fully combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, ground cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Add this to the wet mixture and stir until just combined. Fold in sour cream, vanilla extract, and optional walnuts.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before slicing and serving.
A Vermont Tradition
This Vermont Harvest Cake is a traditional New England favorite with deep roots in the region’s culture and heritage. It was once a popular treat to celebrate the autumn apple harvest, and the unique combination of spices and warm brown sugar bring to mind the age-old smells of fall. As the cinnamon wafts through your kitchen, you can practically feel the chill air and colorful foliage.
The combination of ingredients results in a cake that is both light and flavorful. This simple recipe can easily be adapted with the addition of frosting or seasonal fruit. If you want to add your own twist, try substituting the walnuts for other nuts or dried fruits. This homemade treat is sure to bring plenty of smiles.
Whether you are an experienced baker or simply looking for a way to bring autumn joy into your home, try this Vermont Harvest Cake recipe. Its sweet cinnamon flavor is sure to make any fall day that much brighter.