Vanilla Sandwich Cookies: A Deliciously Simple Treat
The iconic classic: vanilla sandwich cookies. Easy to make, yet packed with flavor, this classic snack is a real crowd-pleaser. Whether you’re looking for something to snack on during a movie, or a delicious treat to take to a party, these mouthwatering little cookies are sure to please.
•1 cup (250g) butter, softened
•½ cup (100g) granulated sugar
•1 teaspoon (5ml) pure vanilla extract
•2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
•1 teaspoon (5ml) baking powder
•Pinch of salt
•½ cup (125ml) jam or preserves, your choice of flavor
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
2. In a medium bowl, cream together butter and sugar using a hand mixer until light and fluffy.
3. Beat in the vanilla extract.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
5. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture and stir to combine.
6. Use a teaspoon or a small cookie scoop to roll into balls. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and flatten lightly.
7. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until lightly golden.
8. Let cool for five minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
9. Place about one teaspoon of jam on the flat side of the cookie and sandwich with another cookie of the same size.
These cookies have a light, slightly sweet flavor and are perfect for snacking or for a more formal occasion. Jam varieties can be customized as desired, such as crushed fresh berries, or why not try a combination of your favorite flavors? To elevate the flavor and texture, try stirring a few tablespoons of cornstarch or extra all-purpose flour into the dough. If you want to add something extra special, why not melt some white chocolate to drizzle over the cookies?
The beauty of this simple recipe is its versatility; why not get creative and add a little zest of your own by adding fun decorations such as sprinkles, colored sugar or chopped nuts? Try swapping the jam for marshmallow fluff or Nutella for a totally different flavour.
For more classic recipes that are sure to please, why not try Chocolate Chip Cookies, Oatmeal Raisin Cookies, or Peanut Butter Cookies? They won’t disappoint!