Few meals fill the senses with warmth and nostalgia like a hearty and flavorful soup. For Valerie Bertinelli, a favorite family recipe holds a special place in her memories and her tummy!
Valerie Bertinelli Soup is an amazing blend of creamy soup, crisp bacon and tender vegetables that bring the dreamy, delicious flavours of Italy right to your tastebuds. Each spoonful is a classic comfort food that celebrates all things home-cooked.
Valerie Bertinelli Soup
- 6 strips bacon, chopped
- 1 small onions, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup white rice
- 1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large pot, over medium heat, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove bacon and set aside.
- Add the onions, garlic, and celery to the pot, and sauté until softened and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken stock, rice and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, basil, oregano, thyme, paprika, and bacon. Simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cream and cornstarch until combined, then stir into the soup.
- Continue cooking for 5 more minutes, or until the soup has thickened.
- Remove from heat, and stir in the Parmesan cheese.
- Serve hot, with a sprinkle of freshly cracked black pepper, if desired.
Valerie Bertinelli Soup is a sensational amalgam of Italian-inspired flavours that is sure to please everyone, no matter their age or palette. The warm, creamy broth works perfectly against the crunch of the bacon, while the vibrant sweetness of the tomatoes adds a hint of homegrown nostalgia. For a truly unique and delicious meal, this classic soup just can’t be beaten!