TikTok Mac & Cheese
This decadent yet uber-simple TikTok Mac & Cheese dish has taken the internet by storm. Creamy, cheesy, and utterly delicious, this recipe is sure to satisfy all of your wildest comfort food cravings. Prep time is only 30 minutes, making it the perfect stress-free dinner idea.
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole or 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 8 ounces traditionally-made macaroni
- 8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese (or 4 ounces each of two types of grated cheese)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons shredded fresh parsley (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Once melted, whisk in the flour to form a roux. Continue to whisk over medium heat for 1-2 minutes until the roux is light golden brown and fragrant. Slowly pour in the milk, continuing to whisk until the roux and milk mixture has thickened and no lumps remain. Whisk in the Dijon mustard.
- Add the macaroni to the saucepan. Stir together, lower the heat and simmer for 10-12 minutes until the macaroni is tender. Stir in the grated cheese until it is melted and evenly distributed. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve the dish warm, optionally sprinkled with shredded fresh parsley.
This traditional TikTok Mac & Cheese is creamy and cheesy, and kid-approved! Not only is it easy and quick to make, but it’s also a fool-proof way to please even the pickiest of eaters. For a lighter, healthier take on this classic dish, reduce the butter, omit the Dijon mustard, and use part skim milk or milk substitute in place of the whole milk. For a delicious, vegetarian version, you can even substitute in cooked carrots or butternut squash for the macaroni. For an even more indulgent version, try experimenting with different types of cheeses and finishing off with a sprinkle of crispy, buttered breadcrumbs. No matter how you decide to make it, this TikTok Mac & Cheese dish is sure to be a hit at your dinner table!