Thai Som Tum Poo Recipe
In the mood for a fiery and exhilarating spicy-sour Thai salad? Look no further than the zesty Thai Som Tum Poo. This delicious dish is an incredibly flavorful and complex traditional Thai salad that will really get your taste buds into overdrive. Its combination of tastes include spicy, sour, salty, and sweet, making for strangely addictive experience.
In order to get its holy trinity of tastes, this salad involves fresh herbs, green papaya, garlic, fish sauce, and (of course) copious amounts of chili. You may not realize it, but this is also a great dish to eat when you’re trying to lose weight, as its low in calories and packed full of vitamins, minerals and dietary fiber.
So why not try it out? Here’s a recipe.
-1 green papaya, shredded
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-2 organic Thai chilies, minced
-2 tablespoons organic fish sauce
-2 tablespoons organic lime juice
-1 tablespoons organic cane sugar
-1/4 cup each of fresh cilantro, shredded coconut, and roasted peanuts
-1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
1. In a mortar and pestle, combine garlic, Thai chili, and black pepper. Mash them together until it forms a semi-smooth paste.
2. Add fish sauce, lime juice, and sugar to the chili paste and mix them together.
3. In a bowl, add the shredded green papaya, cilantro, coconut and pounded peanuts and mix.
4. Pour the chili paste mixture into the bowl and mix everything together until the salad is thoroughly blended.
5. Serve the Som Tum Poo cold and enjoy!
When making this dish, it’s important to use fresh ingredients in order to get the most flavor. If you’re not used to incorporating herbs and chilies into your diet, it’s a good idea to start with a small amount and then slowly increase until you find the right balance. The good news is that it’s nearly impossible to make a bad version of this dish.
If you’re a fan of Thai food, give this recipe a try. You won’t regret it!