Double Your Appetite with Delicious Thai Shrimp Cakes
Looking to tantalize your taste buds? Try out this traditional Thai shrimp cake recipe! A staple of Thai culture, these sumptuous cakes get their characteristic flavor from sweet and savory ingredients like lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves. Fry or steam them for a delightful contrast of crunchy exterior and moist interior. Serve with a dipping sauce for some out-of-this-world flavor.
- 8 ounces raw shrimp (shells removed)
- 1 teaspoon lemongrass, minced
- 3 tablespoons shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh kaffir lime leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil, for frying
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the shrimp, lemongrass, shallot, garlic, and lime leaves into a food processor and process until you get a coarse paste.
- Add the fish sauce and egg, then mix together until you have a thick mixture.
- Slowly add the flour to the mixture, stirring all the time to incorporate it evenly.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Drop spoonfuls of the mixture into the hot oil and let cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until golden brown.
- Drain the cooked cakes on a plate lined with paper towels and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
Thai shrimp cakes are a wonderful and flavorful way to spice up any meal. Not only are these cakes bursting with mouthwatering flavors, they also definitely make an impressive presentation. This recipe is surprisingly easy to make as well, so you don’t have to be an experienced cook to nail it. Don’t be fooled by the simple ingredients – the complexity of the flavors makes this meal an unforgettable experience.
Whether you choose to steam the patties or fry in the skillet, you can be sure to receive a delicious, home-cooked meal. Serve the Thai shrimp cakes with a dipping sauce such as a lime juice, Thai sweet chili sauce, or even a pre-made Asian dressing if you’re feeling fancy. They’re also a great way to get your protein fix, so go ahead and chow down on these heavenly creations!