Thai Khao Soi: Spicy Curry Noodle Soup
Khao Soi is a classic Thai dish that is a spicy, flavorful noodle soup that has the perfect balance of sweet and savory, and is sure to warm you up on those cold winter nights. The soup is made from a combination of coconut milk, curry paste, and spices, and served with boiled noodles, pickled greens, and fried egg noodles. With its complex and bold flavour profile, Thai Khao Soi is truly a culinary gem.
This traditional dish hails from the mountainous regions of northern Thailand, and is made with various ingredients, including chicken, beef, or pork, and is usually served with boiled egg noodles. However, it can also be made with rice noodles, or with a combination of boiled and fried noodles. In addition, the soup can be topped with anything from chili paste, chillies, lime juice, pickled greens, and even boiled eggs.
This recipe is sure to bring the flavors of Thailand to your kitchen!
– 6 cups chicken/beef/pork stock
– 1 can coconut milk
– 2 tablespoons of red curry paste
– 3 tablespoons fish sauce
– 2 tablespoons sugar
– 2 tablespoons tamarind paste
– 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
– 2 tablespoons of minced shallots
– 1 teaspoon of ground turmeric
– 1/2 teaspoon of ground coriander
– 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin
– Salt & Pepper to taste
– 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro
– 2 cups of boiled egg noodles
– 1/4 cup of chopped pickled greens
– 1/4 cup of fried egg noodles, for garnish
1. Heat the chicken/beef/pork stock in a large pot over medium heat.
2. Add the coconut milk and stir to combine.
3. Add the curry paste and stir to combine.
4. Add the fish sauce, sugar, tamarind paste, garlic, shallots, turmeric, coriander, cumin, and salt & pepper, and stir to combine.
5. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
6. Add the cilantro and stir to combine.
7. Add the boiled egg noodles and stir to combine.
8. Simmer for a further 5 minutes to allow the flavors to develop.
9. Place the soup in a bowl and top with the pickled greens and the fried egg noodles.